Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Dear Owen



I did these posts for your brother, like, once a month and this is your first one...

Sorry, second child.

I did get you dressed today in something other than last night's jammies, so you can't be too mad at me.

You are a joy. An absolute, smiley delight. You are 7 months old and already saying "Dada" when your daddy walks into the room. I thought you were just babbling at first, but we tested it out thrice last night...I walked into the room, and you smiled but said nothing. Your dad walks into the room, and you said "Dada"...three times! I hate being that mom who brags about her kids accomplishments, so let me even it out by giving you a good dose of reality--

The "Dada" thing is cute and all but also makes me want to slam my head into a wall. After all, I am the one who gets up with your obnoxious butt every night, because--no--you STILL don't sleep through the night. Never. Not a chance. Not even close. You make up for being such a little poop during the day by being the easiest, sweetest baby ever. But at nighttime you drive me crazy. I love you. I really do. But I also love sleeping. So please sleep.

You are crawling and pulling up on furniture already. I am fighting the urge to push you back down because I'm not ready for you to be mobile yet, but boy do you look proud of yourself when you get a glimpse of the top of your brother's train table. You go for all of the smallest toys that could potential choke you, so that's fun.

I am just so obsessed with you. We call you "nugget" or "Odie" but rarely "Owen" and it throws me off when people address you using your real name.

You have no teeth or hair to your name, and we love your huge gummy smile. You have started doing this hilarious squinty-eye thing when you're trying to be funny. Your dad was known for this squinty-eye-laugh in college, and it looks JUST like that. I think they actually called it the Baker Laugh...




Your hemangioma birthmark fades more every day. People rarely even ask about it anymore. Soon it will be gone, and that makes me a little bit sad. It makes you who you are.

Right now, you're eating puffs and eggs for lunch. You weren't into baby food purees, so we went straight to finger foods. You are so tiny, but so capable of feeding yourself. It's weird/cute looking.

I adore you, Odiekins! You are such a blessing to me and to this family. I love you, I love you, I JUST LOVE YOU!

xo,

Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment