Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Cheerios and other couldn't-live-withouts

If I had a dollar for every time I found a Cheerio in my bra at the end of the day, I'd do all of my grocery shopping at Whole Foods and live in a glass-bottom hut on an island.

I was always told that there are three stages of babyhood: newborn, infant and toddler. Now I know that this is actually a lie. It goes more like this: newborn/chronic spit up on shoulder, infant/chronic drool stains on each item of clothing, and toddler/Cheerio-land.

Don't get me wrong. I love a Cheerio.

Whining in the carseat? Here are some Cheerios.

Molars coming in? Here. Gnaw on some Cheerios.

Need to unload the dishwasher without monkey-child climbing in your appliances and reaching for the freshly-washed pizza cutter? Here. I filled up a solo-cup with Cheerios and chocolate chips. Go to town, kiddo.

Anyone else? Anyone else?!

I wrote a post awhile back on my top five couldn't-live-withouts for having a newborn.

My live-withouts are very different now, and--clearly--include a box of Cheerios, along with:

1) A high-chair. Sometimes I just need to go water the plants without Simon trying to climb into the recycling bin.  The high-chair has saved me. Not hungry? I give him a puzzle or plop in front of an episode of Curious George. 

2) Baby gates. I turn my head to flip an egg on the stove and he's sitting on the landing of the steps. I'll say it again: baby gates.

3) Books. I can't tell you how it warms my heart when Simon (literally) throws a book in my lap then scoots his little butt backwards to sit and read. I've heard early-reading is the best thing you can do for a child's literacy, too, so I'm happy to read Good Night, Gorilla thirty-seven times a day...most of the time...some of the time. No, most of the time.

4) Boxes. I've always heard that children love boxes more than the gifts that come in them. Well if that's not the dern truth. I would give a whole heck-of-a-lot to know what's going on in Simon's head when he's playing with a box: I will sit on it. I will stand on it. I will try to crush it. I will put my toys in it. I will take my toys out. I will cuddle with it. I will talk to it. I will slam my fists on it and cackle. 

What are yours, friends? And what do you think our toddlers would say?

xo,

B








4 comments:

  1. I LIVED off of Cheerios as a toddler. Those, and pickles. Good ol' days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then you would love the book "Not a Box" by Antoinette Portis. It's always been a favorite around here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have a little boy i think around the age of your simon - brady will be 16 months old next week. anyway, i just LOVE your blog because your little guy sounds so much like mine, they tend to be doing the same things & whatnot. and i loooove the honesty you write with, both your serious posts & your funny posts (i laughed outloud several times relating to you on this post). just wanted to say hi & so glad i found your blog this year. cheers from colorado!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed on all accounts ;) Especially Cheerios in the bra!

    ReplyDelete