Thursday, May 30, 2013

nothing is deprived of its warmth

I've sat here for a few minutes now, trying to conjure inspiration or whatever to write a good post. Alas, I've spent the minutes staring out the window of our rented beach house, because the sun on the water reminds me of glitter confetti sprinkling its way across the water. You know what the ball looks like when it drops on New Year's Eve? I am looking across an entire ocean's worth of that sparkle. It's like watching fire; I can't look away long enough to gather some thoughts on anything other than that.

I do hear, of course, the fat little "pat pat pat" of the babies' hands crawling fast on the hardwood floors. We are here with some of our very best friends and their baby girl. I love to watch the babies crawl as fast as their chubby legs can take them and reward themselves by pulling up on the coffee table. The look on their little faces is so satisfied.

The ocean kind of empties out my brain. In the best way, I mean. I can't think of much more than how I feel wrapped in a blanket of happy when my feet first hit the hot sand in the morning.

I guess the only real inner conversation I've had with much depth was on our second night of being here. We were sitting on the back deck, looking straight up at the sky. There was one bright star, maybe a planet. I think we had to take breaks, because our necks get tired after awhile. I noticed how, the longer I sat there, the more stars I saw. Is there something scientific behind that? I just assume that it's because my eyes became accustomed to the darkness. Within a few minutes, it looked like we had taken fistfuls of stars and tossed them heavenward. The sky was overflowing with twinkly stars.

And it made me think about God. I wonder how often I glance in God's direction and miss out on a whole beautiful, clear night sky's worth of bright blessings, because I don't take the time to sit, wait and look.

N. took a picture of the sunrise this morning. I imagine God thinking as the sun crept up Alright, Nathaniel, get ready for this. It's going to be beautiful. 


 
I immediately thought of Psalm 19:

In the heavens God has pitched a tent for the sun.      
 It is like a bridegroom coming out of his chamber,
    like a champion rejoicing to run his course. It rises at one end of the heavens
    and makes its circuit to the other;
    nothing is deprived of its warmth.
(vs. 5 &6)

Happy Thursday, everyone. And sunny greetings from Duck, NC!

xo, 

b



1 comment:

  1. this reminds me so much of what Jess said in bible study one night-
    we get so worried about the potatoes getting done in the oven that we overlook the entire FEAST we have already waiting to be eaten at the table.
    when really, if the potatoes never got done, we'd still be full and satisfied.

    happy monday sista :)

    ReplyDelete