Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Why I love Ed Wolanski

Dr. Wolanski (at Bakertown, we call him "Ed") is an OB-GYN in Charlottesville. And he's just the best darn doctor I've ever had. I'm pretty sure he's been voted "The Best OB-GYN in Charlottesville" several times before, so he doesn't necessarily need my endorsement, but I told him I'd write about him a few months back, and by golly, I owe it to him (he did deliver my first-born) to follow through.

I just left Ed's office. I technically went in for a routine something-or-other, but I had a mind to get him to help me with my anxiety woes. I had gone to other doctors, but for some reason, I needed Ed to tell me what I should do. He "gets" me, ya know?

At this point in his career, he's delivered over 9,000 babies. If you do the math, that means he delivers a baby nearly every day. Good heavens. That's a lot of getting pooped on, am I right?

But Ed always remembers who I am. I'm not just one of the 9,000. In fact, I hustled to the back of the office to use the bathroom before my appointment time and ran into him. Without blinking and without my chart near by he quietly said, "Hey, Brett." This guy's good. Real good. Granted, I've seen him a lot over the past 8 months. Then again, lots of women have.

Ed and I weren't always so cozy. At our first appointment he [what felt like] grilled me on my due date, how far along I was, am I taking a good prenatal?? He told me how much weight I was supposed to gain, and that there was "no good reason to gain more than that." Well, sheesh. Nice to meet you, too. I thought. The more I got to know him, the more I realized, he's just shy. And he's got somewhat of an awkward job to do for someone who's literally just met you, so he's just trying to get through it at first. He wasn't going to snuggle up to me within five minutes just because I was his patient. He's factual and blunt at first, because conjuring an instant saccharin first impression just isn't his thing. He's got to get to know you before he's cuddly. Everyone knows there's that rite-of-passage appointment, usually somewhere in your 20-something weeks of gestation, where he HUGS you and you feel like, I'm in!

Sure, there are appointments where he nailed me for my weight gain and told me to cut back on carbs, but at the end of the day, it's because he knows I don't want to have work on losing it while everything else in my life with a newborn cray-cray.

Which leads me to what I think I love most about dear Ed: he cares about me more than he cares about buoying my pride. He tells me the truth. He does he darnedest to fix my problems.

When I started gabbing about my anxiety yesterday, he could have easily referred me to a psychologist. Instead, he folded his hands, leaned back against the counter, listened, asked questions and then said,

"Let's try this. I'll see you back in a month. We'll get you feeling better."

Then he patted my leg through those strange crackly "drapes" and hugged me.

My follow up appointment next month has absolutely nothing to do with my lady bits, but he's asked me to come back nonetheless.

You're the man, Ed. I'm not sure if you'll never read this, but you admitted to me that you've googled your name before, so I sure hope this "review" pops up!

-B




7 comments:

  1. Hi friends, how is all, and what you wish for to say regarding this post, in my view its in fact awesome in support of me.


    Feel free to visit my web site :: webhostingtop3.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must thank you for the efforts you have put in penning
    this website. I am hoping to see the same high-grade blog posts from you in the
    future as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities has
    motivated me to get my very own website now ;)

    Here is my weblog Bankruptcy attorney florida

    ReplyDelete
  3. What а matеrial of un-ambіguity anԁ pгeserѵenеss of valuable experience abοut unexpected emotіοnѕ.


    Mу blog poѕt ... Red Kings Poker Offer

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's so great! i have been seeing a chiropractor since the fall who has been helping me get my hormones balanced. most of the time i go in i'm talking to him about my monthly cycle, etc. my ob-gyn won't even talk to me about that! praise the Lord for doctors who care about you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seldom leave a response, however i did a few searching and wound up
    here "Why I love Ed Wolanski". And I actually do have a
    few questions for you if you don't mind. Is it only me or does it seem like some of the remarks come across as if they are coming from brain dead people? :-P And, if you are posting on other sites, I'd like to follow anything
    new you have to post. Could you list of the complete urls of all your communal sites like your twitter feed,
    Facebook page or linkedin profile?

    Have a look at my blog: Vexxhost Reviews

    ReplyDelete