Friday, March 1, 2013

leap year birthdays at Bakertown

Yesterday, errrr, today...was my first birthday as a mom. This is what my birthday morning looked like:

video
No makeup, computer screen glare on my glasses because I didn't want to pay for the anti-glare treatment and a snotty-nosed boy.

My first birthday as a mom. My best birthday.

I usually spend my birthdays thinking about the past year--how I've grown and changed and what's happened and all that. I didn't do a whole lot of that this year, although I did some.

I think that one of the best things about parenthood is the way is forces you to think less about yourself.

I mean, at first it sucked. I grieved my ability to be selfish, my independence, my ability to keep my shirt on the whole day and how I could take showers without planning them around schedules. I grieved grocery shopping without a trillion pound car seat, diaper bag and possibly fussy baby.

It really did change everything.

But I've accepted my new life. And I realize it's way better than my old one.

When you have a child, you finally realize what it's like to love someone else more than yourself. And I'll be darned if that wasn't the hardest and best thing ever to happen to me. 

So when there's a little snotty nosed boy whining at me all day on my birthday because he doesn't feel well, I really mean it when I say it's OK. I love him more than I love myself, so it's OK.  I still got Chipotle for dinner, and the most thoughtful card and gift from my hot husband. And I had more birthday wishes than I could have ever deserved.

It's been the best year,

xo,

b

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! I'm so glad you had a great day and you got to hang out with you men folk. Happy you were born, Mrs. Baker. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wishing you a happy birthday & a healthy, exciting year ahead with your little one...this time is so fleeting (cliche, but so true), enjoy every minute!
    PS...your FB post resonated with me, too. I love it, unabashedly. I love pouring over photos of family & friends, I love being tethered (if only via internet) to those I love all over the country. Great job articulating that!

    ReplyDelete