Monday, March 25, 2013

I'm detail-deficient and OK with it

I have decided that I am surrounded by details-people: recipe-following, spreadsheet-making, check-it-off-the-list, wipe-the-baseboards, compartmentalize-the-catch-all-drawer, hang-all-your-clothes-on-wooden-hangers details-people. And I am not one of them.

Now, I'm a firstborn, so there are many a type-A characteristic filed into my brain, but details, well, God left that out. For what reason? HeckifIknow. Maybe to spice things up a tad.

I'm sure that some of my friends would lose their ever-lovin' minds if I opened up my closet to show them how I store my clothes: sweaters hung on wire hangers, underwear, socks, bras and tights all thrown in the same drawer, none of it folded, and it doesn't bother me a bit. I think my sister-in-law once called my closet, "unceremonious." I don't fold clean sheets after they come out of the dryer. I place them [neatly, in my defense] in a linen bin for our next house guest. I never clean the hair out of my vacuum or my brushes. My baby sister does that for me when she comes to town.

I think that these missing organization lobes could make me self-conscious if I let them, but, truth be told, I've got some other key things down pat.

I can make a killer meal without looking at a recipe, just by opening my fridge and pantry. Flexibility, creativity and a keen sense for approximation are among the perks of being detail-deficient.

I'm also a great mom. He may not have both socks on the majority of the time, but he knows his Mama loves him.

I've found that overlooking details allows me to see the big picture. It's a tradeoff that has its pros and cons.

Are there times when I wish it came naturally to me to color-code my to-do list or face all of my canned goods labels the same way? Absolutely. Every day.

But

Nobody has it all together. Unless they do, then no one really likes them.

So, what's your thing? What are your deficiencies? What are your strengths? Do you think you've come to a place in your life where you're at peace with both?



3 comments:

  1. I consider myself a type A minus personality. I'm the underachiever of the overachievers. Or vice versa. It just takes too much energy to be type A all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a huge procrastinator...I am awesome at getting distracted and avoiding a big task until the absolute last minute, but I work well under pressure.

    I am, however, quite excellent at throwing together an impromptu adventure or getaway...my kids will be thankful for that trait about their otherwise down-to-the-wire mom someday, right??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fine. Fine. Fine! I'll come over and organize your closet. Please?? Lemme?? Sometimes I look at pictures of organized pantries and closets to calm myself down. I think this helps our friendship.

    ReplyDelete