Monday, March 18, 2013

dear Simon

Simon,

You are more than 8 months old now. I know I'm supposed to say that time has flown and I don't know where it went, but the truth is that I feel like I've known you forever. I can't really remember life before you. Don't get me wrong, you are growing up far too quickly for my taste, but still.

You aren't one for meeting milestones on time, and that's OK. I think it's because you're laid back like daddy and me. You've just cut your first tooth this morning. You aren't crawling, but by golly, you think you are. You prop yourself up on your hands and knees and you rock furiously and smile like you're the fastest guy in town.

You went to your first funeral the week before last. It is a sad time for our family, but people told me that you were good therapy. Actually, they called you "Mr. Dense Therapy" (you are quite dense, weighing in at 22 pounds...)

It was my aunt Susan who passed away. Here you are reading with her dad, my G-dad, and your great-G-dad at breakfast one morning:


I know that G-dad was so sad, Simon, but I think you may have lifted his heart just a little. 

You are a sweet boy with a sweet little personality. Your sense of humor is coming out a bit, too. You will have short little bursts of yelling then look at us until we laugh at you. Gosh, you're cute.

You love your dog, Turk. And you two are thick as thieves. When you're sitting in your high chair and Turk comes in the room, you leeeaaaaann as far as you can so he will lick the food off of your hands. When you're sitting and playing on the floor, Turk will often come and lay down next to you as close as he can be. It's very sweet. We're teaching you "gentle" when you pet him. You pet his ears and then he'll give you a quick lick across your face.




Every day with you is such a gift. Each night I sing "How Great Thou Art" to you while I give you your bottle and then pray for you, 

"Thank you, God, for this gift. Help us to steward it well."

I love you love you love you love you, 

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment