Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Am I mediocre? Or am I too hard on myself?


 Friends, I wrote the following little ditty a few months ago. I meant it to be for another local blog, but decided to post it here instead. Can anyone relate?




My child isn't old enough to walk or talk, but I still consider using the bathroom with the door closed a session of "me time".

I feel victorious when my son poops before we leave the house, because I know I've dodged the change-him-in-the-backseat-of-the-car-and-stare-at-passersby bullet for one more day.

There are times when I feel one hundred percent overwhelmed that I am responsible for a little human being one hundred percent of the time.

And then I think about those moms and dads who have two, three, four, five (!) or 6 (?) kids and I think, 

I need to meet these people, bow at their feet and ask them what their secret is.

Maybe it's my personality, or maybe it's my expectations of myself, but boy does this parenting thing take more out of me than I thought it would. 

And living in city like Charlottesville, where--not only do the kids eat organic--but they wear Patagonia doing it, it's easy to feel like I'd love to hear an "Amen!" to the fact that my kid sometimes gets formula and wears clothes from Craigslist.

I'm looking for parents who can give me a healthy fist pump when I say that I don't sanitize the paci every time it falls on the floor and I haven't folded last week's laundry yet and I sometimes forget how to empty the diaper genie.

Are you out there? If you are, you've got a mediocre friend in me. I probably won't immediately respond to your text, if I can find my phone at all. But I'd love to have you over for a frozen pizza or a store-bought baked good.

11 comments:

  1. Never let others expectations change your own! You've done fantastic job and you'll keep on improving your technique with time. I sanitized all the time with my first. We're now at 3 and we don't worry about a few germs, they build the immune system! You do what you have to when you must. I applaud you for keeping true to your beliefs. It may feel like a daily struggle but that only means that you're not on auto-pilot, you're learning! Having more does not mean you know what to do 100%, it just means you've learned what works better most of the time. XOXO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, friend. It's encouraging to know that for the next kiddos I will have learned some vital things already. :)

      Delete
  2. i love this one. i'm there with you sista! a hearty AMEN from the girl whose daughter probably has a little poop mark on the edge of her onesie and is eating refined sugar under a year old, and who claims to only drink iced coffee because i can never actually get to it white it's still hot. i'd love to come over for a frozen pizza, especially if you accidentally burn it because the baby was crying. i'll bring a bottle of champagne in my diaper bag and drink it while i breastfeed, as long as you don't mind that i haven't washed my hair in three days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. girl, you're speaking my LANGUAGE! this sounds like a day in the life at bakertown, for sure.

      Delete
  3. Love this!

    So many mom blogs in C-Ville portray a facade of perfect mom life. (Look at my perfect organic lunch in my spotless house, after I completed a 10 mile run with my pefectly quiet, clean, exclusively breastfed, and adorable baby) I think it makes many of the moms I know feel like failures.

    I've read your blog for awhile, a friend of mine shared it with me, and as usual, I love that you're keeping it real!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzie, thank youuuuuu! I am laughing out loud at your cville mom description. Ain't it the truth?! I don't know how they do it. That's just not me. I'm in survival mode half of the time! Thank you for reading. Maybe we could meet up someday?

      Delete
  4. WORD. To all of it.

    Here's a little secret - some of the best dressed kids in town get their clothes from Salvation Army. I know all my kid's Baby Gap clothes came from there, as well as some of her patagootchie clothes too. And my child was exclusively formula fed, because my body would not cooperate with any thing else.

    Feel better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much better, hehehehe! I love a second-hand gem!

      Delete
  5. melissa, thank you for your amen! I thought you might feel me on this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bahaha...love the last line. We are all just keepin it real

    ReplyDelete