Tuesday, January 1, 2013

a new year

When I was growing up, my dad always went to bed before midnight on New Year's Eve.

I always thought he was being a party pooper.

Then I became a mom. And now staying up until midnight seems more like a punishment or something you do have to do  when you have the stomach flu.

So, last night, instead of ringing in the new year at the traditional 12:00am EST, we got together with one of our very favorite couples and their baby daughter and had ourselves an Italian New Year--complete with pizza, red wine, caprese salads, Prosecco and  rang in the new year at 6pm EST, or 12 midnight in Italy. And we were all in bed by 9:30pm.

It was the best new year's celebration ever.

This morning, I'm sitting in my favorite chair while Simon is taking his first nap and N. is watching Battlestar Galactica with Turk curled up at his feet. I'm drinking coffee from a mug that N. gave me in my stocking this year.

2012 has been the best and hardest year yet.

The best and hardest things about the year are probably the same things, though, now that I think about it:

The first nine weeks of Simon's life were so hard. So hard. Gosh. I felt like I would never survive. Post Partum Depression is real, y'all. Real. And it was hard but it was also the first time when I've really lost control and had to trust God that he could take care of my life, my marriage, my sanity, my baby and my fears. And He did. And now that I'm on the other side of things, I know that it could have only been God who got us through it.

I'm so thankful for the way that mine and N's marriage has stretched and worn in this year. I love him more than ever. I'm so thankful for our sweet son who has literally changed every single thing in our lives in the best ways possible. And I'm excited to see what this year has for us as a family of three (well, four, if you could the Turkles) in 2013.

Happy New Year, y'all!

xo,

B






No comments:

Post a Comment