Tuesday, September 25, 2012

post partum: the physical side of things

This is another one of those posts where I forewarn you about the TMI-ness of it all. Warning: TMI.

A few of y'all have asked how I'm doing physically since bebe.

Good heavens does pregnancy and childbirth take a toll. I mean, I knew it would, but I didn't really know know.

I will say I was one of the more fortunate souls to step away with no stretch marks or hemorrhoids. Praises.

But what I lack in those battle scars I made up for in stitches, you know, downtown. I remember asking my doctor how many stitches I got afterward and he looked away and said,

"I don't know."

You don't know?!?

Ouch.

It's ten weeks later, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't still sore sometimes.

My body bounced back fairly quickly, I think. My stomach is flat again, although my hips are still wide as Texas. You win some, you lose some. Meh. I'm still a good 6 or 7 pounds away from being pre-baby weight, but I'd rather focus on maintaining a good milk supply than losing the extra for right now. It has decided to be nice and spread itself out evenly, so I'm pretty much back into most of the pre-preg wardrobe. (Except those size 26 Citizens, may they RIP. I'm fairly certain I'll never see those on me again.) And I've still got that pesky linea negra from my last trimester. Any thoughts on if those ever go away? It's not cute.

I've heard of some Mamas who walk away from pregnancy with permanently larger feet or worsened eyesight. I don't think I've had any of that, but you know what I have noticed?

My sense of smell is heightened. The smell of gasoline was always attractive to me but now I almost crave it. Getting gas is like a trip to the spa for me. I love that smell.

And I'm way more regular than I've ever been, if ya know what I mean. I used to have all manner of digestive issues, and it's almost like they've disappeared.

What about you, Mamas?

xo,

B










4 comments:

  1. I had the linea negra with Gabriel. It took a couple months, but it did finally go away. I was worried it never would, haha. After 10 weeks being 6-7 pounds away from pre-baby is AMAZING. It took me four months to get back into my pre-preggo jeans, both times. But breastfeeding sheds calories like nobody's business, so keep doing that and you'll shed those last few pounds in no time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a couple of stitches and they are almost gone in pain, but I can still tell where the damage was.

    Also still have a killer linea negra... Maybe it looks like a fake 6 pack? Yeahhhh... Probably not :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was back to pre-baby weight by the time she was 2 weeks old but i don't think my stomach will ever be flat again. and i am way more "regular" too - it's almost guaranteed that i will need to go after the 3am feeding. not ideal, but better than the alternative! also, my feet grew :( and my eyesight worsened. i had no idea the eyesight thing was related to pregnancy! i had an eye appt very late in my pregnancy and my prescription had increased since my last appt. craziness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linea negra line took about 9 months to go away for me, but it started fading around 6 months. I, too, have one pair of jeans that I lo-oved that I can squeeze into on a "skinny" day, but I know they will never fit the same again :(

    ReplyDelete