Friday, September 14, 2012

five couldn't-live-withouts

I got some great input from mamas on what to register for when I was pregnant with Simon. I felt so overwhelmed by everything that babies "needed" that I ended up asking some close mama friends to be real with me: what do I actually need for this kiddo, and what can I live without? If there are any to-be mamas out there who feel similarly, then you've come to the right blog post. For what it's worth, I'm going to offer up my own five couldn't-live-withouts:


five things I couldn't live without:

1) the swaddleme: babies have a startle reflex when they're little that causes them to flail their arms when they hear a loud noise or have a dream; this wakes them up prematurely if they aren't swaddled tightly enough in their sleep. Simon slept for HOURS when I finally got past what these look like (torture devices), and I actually found that he loves them.

2) Mommy's Bliss gripe water: OK. this stuff is miraculous. It actually CURES hiccups. Where has this stuff been all my life? It also calms Simon's tummy when he's gassy or colicky, and it's made with fennel and ginger, so it's 100% natural, and you don't have to worry about over dosing. Furthermore, it tastes like sugar water, so he looooooooves it.

3) a Sleep Sheep or some other sort of sound machine: Anything that re-creates the environment of the womb helps to soothe a baby. Simon wakes up when/if his sound machine turns off, so I actually bought an app on my iPhone that plays continually for night time. For naps, we use the Sleep Sheep.

4) a Moby wrap: We wouldn't be able to eat dinners together without it. At the end of the day, when babes are extra fussy, this calms them, (well, Simon, at least) and lets you use BOTH HANDS, which is a small miracle for a new mama. Since Simon isn't a fan of his carseat, I use it everywhere: grocery shopping, going for walks, getting pedicures........and I even Moby'd him underneath a barber's cape when I was getting my haircut this week.

5) a good pacifier: Simon prefers this "soothie" kind for some reason. Don't ask me why, but sucking helps to soothe some babies, too. Simon has recently found his thumb, but for the first 8 weeks, I always had a paci with me everywhere I went. Half of the time it was in MY mouth.  Exhibit A:


Any other mamas out there with some couldn't-live-withouts?

xo, 

B





8 comments:

  1. That brand of gripe water is the BEST. Hallie was so gassy when she was little and that stuff works miracles. Definitely couldn't live without it.

    I never used a Moby, but I've heard only good things. I'll definitely be getting one for the next baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the name of the app you purchased to help Simon sleep?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, LIzzie--the app I use is called relaxation melodies, and the noise I use is oscillating fan. :)

      Delete
    2. Ok, thanks for sharing! Thought I'd give it a try. Do you find that Simon sleeps longer with it?

      Delete
  3. I like your list! My five must-haves for new babies would be SwaddleMe, pacifier, fan (for nighttime sleep), a small swing that plays music (good for if you don't use a wrap but want some hands-free time), and a nap for Mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your list! My 5 must-haves for a new baby would be: a SwaddleMe, pacifier, fan (for nighttime), a small swing that plays music (for if you don't use a wrap but want some hands-free time), and a nap for Mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrier for sure (I have a Balboa sling and a Beco and have loved both). Ditto on the noise machine and Swaddlemes too.

    My munchkin wouldn't sleep in a pack n play or his crib so a cosleeper was a lifesaver. It was also wonderful for nighttime feedings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carrier for sure (I have a Balboa sling and a Beco and have loved both). Ditto on the noise machine and Swaddlemes too.

    My munchkin wouldn't sleep in a pack n play or his crib so a cosleeper was a lifesaver. It was also wonderful for nighttime feedings!

    ReplyDelete