Tuesday, August 14, 2012

paul and silas

There's something I've been praying for for three years now. I can't say that it's been daily, but I have been diligent. I wasn't sure if God would answer this prayer in the way that I was asking for. Recently, I had been trying to come to terms with the fact that maybe God had another idea for this request I'd been placing before Him. 

Then--one day--when I wasn't expecting it (in fact, I was wiping Simon's spit up from between my collarbones--it pools there--for the 57th time of the day), I got a phone call. My prayer had been answered. 

Thank you, Lord. Was all I could think. And I cried, as per usual....hormones.

It reminded me of Paul and Silas when they were imprisoned. 

The Bible says that, 

"Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them."

That's it. Nothing fancy. Just praying and singing, probably not expecting much, just doing what they knew they needed to do. 

Then "at once, the prison doors flew open, and everybody's chains came loose."

Beautiful. 

It's so rare, for me at least, to get those moments where you know that you know that you KNOW that your prayer has been answered so obviously. Most times, I think that my Christian walk has looked  less theatrical and more like what I imagine Paul and Silas were doing when the walls came down: sitting cross-legged in a prison yard, perhaps biting their fingernails or drawing in the dirt, bored out of their minds but praying all the while and knowing that God would take care of them the way He saw fit. 

Is there something you're praying for, friends? Don't give up. Sometimes, we've got to sit in our prison yards and just do what we gotta do. Our answers might not look like prison doors flying open, but I believe that God is sovereign and He knows what we need. 

xo, 

B

Oh, and PS: this is one of my favorite bible stories. It comes from Acts 16. :)


4 comments:

  1. so encouraging. thanks for posting, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouraging words, Brett. I needed to hear that today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. B- I seriously love your blog. Just tweeted this one. Warm truth to my soul right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for that Brett! There is indeed a prayer I am holding steadfast to. A miracle my friend needs right now - a miracle just as improbable as the prison gates flinging open!...so that she might believe in our great God, the One she denies exists! Please pray along with me for "Ann."

    ReplyDelete