Friday, July 6, 2012

yogurt on a Friday morning

I took today off of work. I'm not sure how many of these types of days I have left: leisurely roll out of bed once I finally have to pee badly enough, find my glasses and walk downstairs to a peaceful, quiet and clean house, make breakfast and just sit.

Everyone's telling me to soak these moments in. The aloneness and independence, I think, is what they're talking about. I will miss that, I'm sure.

Others make having a baby sound like the absolute worst thing in the world--like I'll never get to do anything ever again, ever and I'll NEVER get time to myself EVER again. And my marriage is going to fail because we'll never talk to each other again because we'll be so consumed by this baby. And it will be miserable and we'll never enjoy our lives again ever. And we'll want to die.

I just let those kinds of people talk. I think that's what they need---to talk and feel like someone is listening. I nod and smile, then completely disregard 89% of what they say.

Then, there are people in my life like Kristin, who darn near tear up each time they talk about how wonderful is it to be a mom. I run into Kristin around town and she always leaves me feeling inspired and encouraged. She's the kind of person whose opinions I want to let stick with me. I'm sure Kristin would say that being a mom is hard and that--yes--things change and that --no--you don't get as much down time with your husband. But I think she'd also say,

You know what? You figure it out.

So, this morning I'm eating one of my favorite breakfasts. Very slowly, and I'm thinking about the little person who can hardly move anymore in my belly, which is as taut as a drum at this point.

-plain greek yogurt
-berries
-agave nectar drizzle on top, since plain greek yogurt can be sour


And I'm soaking in the fact that I have the wherewithal to take a photo of my yogurt and blog about it, because I'm not sure if my yogurt will feel so decadent here in a few days when I've got someone attached to my boob.

What are you all doing on this Friday morning? I bet lots of you are on vacation. I have a friend in Mexico and two friends in Greece. Where are you this morning? What are you enjoying?

xo, 

B









13 comments:

  1. I have the semi-finals of Wimbledon on the tv while I am leisurely going through my stack of magazines and tearing out the recipes and ideas I want to keep. I have a warm neck pillow on and am trying to decide whether I want to make another pot of hot coffee or run out for a yummy iced one!
    I am doing all of this knowing that I have NOTHING else I have to do today....wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are twinsies--I can't wait to run out and go get my iced coffee!

      Delete
  2. Im reading this with someone on my boob! Hah! Kristin is right...life doesn't end..and it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I love it. Eat up, Edith! We gotta fatten up those leggies!

      Delete
  3. Where am I? Sitting at my desk pretending to get marketing research done since that is what time it is on my "work-at-home-schedule" .... ha.... All while thinking "oooh I wonder if the same thing will happen to Brett that happened to Allison." She called off work and ended up having the baby, like he knew or something :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having Charlie is hands down the BEST decesion we have ever made. And yes, our life changed but absolutely for the better. We hardly watch tv because we are playing with our adorable son. We go out to eat less to save money, but make great meals for each other at home. He has brought so much joy to our lives. Even if he is fussing, I know he is just communicating with me and that God has entrusted us to take care of his needs for him while he's with us on earth. Yes there is no alone time, but I don't miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life is all about perspective--and you have it right! You are more about counting your blessings than looking for the worst in the world. I have an almost 4 month old and this morning I am on my 2nd cup of coffee, baking a lemon cake, and reading your blog :) while he takes a nice nap! You are going to be so in love I can't wait to hear about it! There are some things that others may consider tough, but it is such a small sacrifice for the privilege of being a Mom. Kristin is an amazing mom (funny I thought about her when I read the name, and turns out it is the same Kristin!). Oh and one more thing--about your marriage--Josh and I just sit around and stare at Jack and talk about how wonderful and cute he is, and how we can't believe we have been blessed with him--so this will draw you closer. And as for your favorite breakfast in the first months? Have HIM make it, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sitting at a salon with foils in my hair and looking like a drowned rat but enjoying it. I'm browsing my iPhone, drinking a cup of coffee and eating a biscotti slowly because I'm not rushing to finish before the doodle wakes from her nap. There are certainly times like these in mommyhood that still exist, and you have a good hubby who will let you get away for a hair appointment. Love you tons and tons!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sitting with foils in my hair looking like a drowned rat but thoroughly enjoying it. I'm browsing my iPhone, sipping coffee and eating a biscotti slowly because I don't have to rush before the doodle wakes up from her nap. There are certainly still times like these that exist in mommyhood, especially because you have a hubby that will let you get away to the salon every now and then. Love you tons and tons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love picturing you with foils in all of that hair! And I love picturing you enjoying a biscotti. Have a wonderful appointment, Mama. You deserve it!

      Delete
  8. Dear Brett,

    I know the people you speak of. Acting like motherhood is terrible and like it's their duty to give you a good "scare". I don't like them. Motherhood is awesome, but I've also found it incredibly challenging at times. While I don't like the fear-monger types, I also don't like putting up this facade like motherhood is all pansies and roses all the time. It simply isn't. There are times when I feel completely, utterly at the end of my rope with my kids. Lacking sorely in patience and grace and if I teared up when talking about them it would be due to my frustration and inadequacies. Because guess what, it's hard! But it's also glorious. And that's what motherhood is really like, delicious and disgusting :) It's all of those things happening at once. There is nothing else like it. You will love your child with a fierce, never ending love. But you are also human :) Thank goodness for Jesus and grace. You will be an outstanding mother, just don't be too hard on yourself as you are adjusting. It's not "all bad" and it's not "all good" it's both. At least that's what I've found. For those who have it all good all the time, wow! I need a lesson from them.
    xo, M

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your friend Kristin is a wise person. It's the unexpected that makes it such a beautiful journey. Life doesn't end - it gets more amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your friend Kristin is a wise person. It is the unexpected that makes it such a wonderful journey. Life doesn't end - it gets more amazing.

    ReplyDelete