Tuesday, July 31, 2012

what I'm learning

I consider it a great victory that it's 3:48pm, and we've made it the entire day without having to change Simon's outfit. He's been wearing the same monkey long-sleeved onesie since 10am. This is no small feat when your sole activities in life are: eat, sleep, spit up, pee, poop.

He is such a joy.

This is the start of week three. It gets a littler easier every day. Everyone tells you how hard it is in the beginning, but you don't really believe them until it actually happens. At least, that's how it was for me. I cried a lot that first week. There's so much to learn and a wee one who will cry until you've learned it well. That's a lot of pressure combined with little-to-no sleep.

Alas, I'm starting to learn.

I'm learning that Simon is quite oral; he wants a paci or his thumb or my pinky most of the time.

I'm learning that he likes having his hands up by his face. I'm learning that this makes it hard to nurse him.

I'm learning that he sleeps best when he's swaddled good and tight with his sleep sheep noise machine set on "ocean" at the loudest setting.

I'm learning that he'll roll to his side no matter what. If he's on his belly, he ends up on his side. If he's in the tightest swaddle possible on his back, he'll end up on his side. I didn't think babies were supposed to be able to do that yet!

I'm learning the different between his "I'm sleepy" cry and his "I'm hungry" cry. The hungry cry is MAD. He's like his dad in that way.

I'm learning that he hates a bath, but falls in a deep sleep right after.

I'm learning that if he's absolutely inconsolable, putting him on N's chest will quiet him right down. He loves to be held by his dad.

I'm learning that streaming Downton Abbey on Hulu makes the constant nursing go by with much more ease.

I'm learning that Simon isn't affected by my morning and afternoon coffees. Praise the Lord Hallelujah, Amen.

I'm learning to keep a water bottle with me when I'm nursing. Why does it make you instantly thirsty?!?!

I'm learning that I have new all-time-greatest heroes: single and military moms. You gals are the bomb and deserve to have wine and massages every day for the rest of your lives.

I'm learning that the best meals are meals that you can freeze and re-heat.

I'm learning that we have the most amazingly supportive and loving family and community.

All my love to you, bloggies.

xo,

B


1 comment:

  1. Hi! I'm a follower.... Love ur blog! I am a new mom too, as of June 30th, so I can totally relate to almost everything you write about. Had to comment on the observation of being instantly thirsty when u start to nurse - I'm the same way! How crazy.... Thought it was just me. Glad motherhood is treating you so well!

    ReplyDelete