Wednesday, February 29, 2012

it's my 6th birthday today

I was born on February 29th--a day that only comes every four years.

The last time I had an actual birthday to celebrate, I was in college.

I lived in a red house. We called it "The Firehouse" and my friends had thrown me a "5th" birthday party.

I had a sinus infection and my friends had put pink streaks in my hair using a Hannah Montana hair pen. They also bought me Dora the Explorer underwear, which I wore on my head since it wouldn't fit anywhere else....

When my 5th birthday party was over, I walked by myself across a few streets to an all-guy's cappella house--The Madison Project, to be exact, and they sang me happy birthday and I drank Natty Light and played beer pong with a cute guy. I remember exactly the way that night felt--carefree, magical, adventurous. And fast---like, wildly fast-paced, like I couldn't get enough of what my actual birthday had to offer. I wanted to drink in that night and make is last for four years. Looking back, I feel like I did. I did exactly what I wanted. I stayed up so late---I think until morning--just trying to remember every single detail of my fleeting birthday. It was enchanting.

I--unlike most folks--have four years to reflect between my real birthdays.

This birthday is so very different. It's not enchanting or adventurous, but it's fulfilling....meaningful. I'm drinking earl grey tea with a good friend instead of Natty Light out of a solo cup. I was given a facial and flowers and a warm sweet kiss from my husband instead of Dora underwear. I'm going to dinner and a concert with my husband and my sister instead of partying and dancing all night with my college friends. I will be in bed by 10:30, probably. And I'll love it. This is the kind of birthday I need this year.

Four years has changed my desires so very much. Four years ago, I wanted passion and adventure. Today I want to feel my baby kick and linger in my warm bed with my husband for a few extra minutes.

I am so thankful for my birthday in 2008--it was exactly what God had planned for me at that time in my life.

I am so thankful for this one--what He has for me now is so perfect.

Isn't it amazing? How He loves us? How He knows us?

xo,

B

4 comments:

  1. happy birthday, brett! it's amazing how He loves as and humbling that He knows us better than we know ourselves! He's so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on, right on...and write on, write on.
    When you turned five I didn't even know you. I was coaching all day at the state wrestling tournament going for a state title, concerned with match-ups that were or were not in our favor and scouting what competition was to come. I had no thought of a sister-in-law, much less that she was celebrating her 5th birthday at JMU(obviously a prodigy).

    Now we are as close as our 28th/29th birthdays and I am blessed to call you family. When you celebrate your 7th, I'll be the Uncle of the child in your womb...the only one unless Kiki gets busy. Haley, don't even think about it.

    And between now and then, Happy Birthday...and know that its a pleasure to share my birthday with you the other 3 out of 4 years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on, right on...and write on, write on.
    When you turned five I didn't even know you. I was coaching all day at the state wrestling tournament going for a state title, concerned with match-ups that were or were not in our favor and scouting what competition was to come. I had no thought of a sister-in-law, much less that she was celebrating her 5th birthday at JMU(obviously a prodigy).

    Now we are as close as our 28th/29th birthdays and I am blessed to call you family. When you celebrate your 7th, I'll be the Uncle of the child in your womb...the only one unless Kiki gets busy. Haley, don't even think about it.

    And between now and then, Happy Birthday...and know that its a pleasure to share my birthday with you the other 3 out of 4 years!

    ReplyDelete