Friday, February 3, 2012

breck

I'm in Breckenridge, CO right now. I've learned, though, that it's not cool to say the whole name. You have to call it "Breck," then you won't look like [so much] of an outsider.

We flew in Wednesday night to Denver and spent yesterday traipsing around the city. We drove up last night in the snow. There are a bunch of us--ten to be exact, and we're in a cozy condo on the slopes. Well, I am. Everyone else is skiing or boarding.

I decided not to ski, since I've never skied out west and didn't want to risk any falls that might hurt baby Baker. I think the rest of the gang is feeling a little bit sad for me, but I'm having a fan-freaking-tastic time.

I woke up at 7am to the rustling of everyone putting on ski pants and talking nasal-y through their ski masks. It was a happy murmur to wake up to. Apparently, everyone but me had a restless night. They were experiencing some altitude sickness, which is why, I guess, N. was breathing so shallowly and loudly last night. I thought he was snoring, so I kicked him a few times. Now, I feel so bad. The altitude sickness gave some folks headaches and made their stomachs hurt. N. was fine, except that he was having some difficulty catching his breath during the night when his respiratory system slowed down. I was extra sweet to him this morning, so he would know that I was sorry for kicking him. And I made sure that he packed a sandwich and two Clif bars and made him drink, like, 5 glasses of water before I let him go.

I haven't felt the altitude at all. My pregnant heart beats 10-15 more times per minute than everyone else's, and the baby is pumping out 25 additional quarts of blood per day, so I'm well-stocked with the oxygen that everyone else is having a hard time making up.

I can't ski, but I can breathe. It's a fair trade, I think.

After everyone hobbled out of here, I pulled on my Uggs and furry coat, and walked to downtown Breck.


Breckenridge-main-street-at-night.jpg
(photo from puppetgov.com)


It's 12 degrees outside, but it's dry cold, so it feels like 40 or so to us east-coasters who are used to the biting, wet cold days.

I took pictures and got a cup of tea. Now I'm sitting back in our condo, eating a peanut butter and jelly with a HUGE glass of milk. I should feel the baby move this week or next, so I try to sit very still every few minutes to see if I feel something. Nothing yet. And that's OK.

Have a wonderful weekend, wherever you are, bloggins!

xo,

b

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh this sounds like a wonderful weekend! But I think Nathaniel is going to have to pee so much while he's skiing after those five glasses of water! I hope you guys have so much fun. I love the way snowy ski villages make me feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! They make me feel so safe and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're having a blast! My favorite thing to do in cold weather is cuddle up, too.

    I'm sure you've heard, but baby movement totally feels like gas at first, haha. So if you're feeling extra gassy, stop and try to see if it's ittle baby Baker! :)

    I'm so excited for you guys! There's nothing better than being a mama. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you're having a blast! My favorite thing to do in cold weather is cuddle up; I'd probably choose it over skiing even if I wasn't pregnant!

    I'm sure you've heard, but baby movement totally feels like gas at first. So if you're feeling extra gassy one day, stop and try to see if it's really ittle baby Baker. :)

    I'm so excited for you guys! There's nothing like being a mama! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to know when you feel ppbb move! Have fun sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete