Monday, January 9, 2012

there's something in the oven at the Baker-y

On October 15th, I begged my mom for advil at the JMU Parents' Weekend Game. It was the second day of the few lovely ones we ladies get to experience every 30 days or do.

On November 6th, I got lightheaded teaching sunday school. Then I got famished. I left right after class was over and ate collard greens from a tin container in the Portico kitchen, along with 3 potato wedges dipped in ranch.

I thought, I've got to eat more protein in the morning.

On November 14th, I woke up to an explosion of acne on my chin. Growing up, I'd had a few blemishes pop up here and there, but never like this. I stood at my mirror and had N. count with me....11 zits. On ONE chin.

I thought, adult-onset acne, you are cruel and untimely.

On November 16th, I stopped at a McDonalds on the way to a friend's house, ordered a double quarter pounder with cheese, fries and a regular Coke and did not make it out of the parking lot before pulling over to eat it....all.

I thought, what a strange craving to have right before my.......holy cow. 

On November 17th, I dropped by the CVS before my heading home for my lunch break. I got up to the counter and dropped my items before the cashier one by one: salt and vinegar chips, stool softener and two pregnant tests. The cashier looked me up and down: my chin sprinkled with red dots, my cleavage uncharacteristically making an appearance and my eyes, droopy with sleepiness. She looked at my items, then gave me this look, like

Girlfriend, I'll tell you right now you don't even need these tests. You. Are. Pregnant. 


I raced home, gave N. a kiss on his cheek, waited for him to go back to work, then sprinted up the stairs to my bathroom. Turk sat next to me as I read the instructions. I peed. And within the 5 seconds that it took me to pull my pants and and reach to lay the test down, the results were clear:

Positive. There was nothing faint about these lines. Blue as blue can be.

"O.K." I said. "O.K., O.K." I kept repeating this.

I showed the test to my faithful dog. He sniffed at it and wagged like he knew what it meant.

I couldn't take my palm away from my belly for the rest of the day.

Is someone really in there? I kept asking him or her.

I told N. to sit down when he got home and he guessed it before I could even open my mouth.

"Are you pregnant?"

"Um. Wait. Let's sit down." ::sits down:: "Yes." There was a dumb smile on my face.

Neither of us cried. I think we were too shocked. N. got a dumb smile on his face, too.

On January 5th we heard the little one's heart beating.

We both sighed and leaned forward as if we'd hear more. We smiled and said "Do you hear that?!" to each other. N. whispered "Yes!" once the doctor finally found it.

It's the most amazing thing. We are blessed. And I can't wait to share the journey with you all.

Thank you, Lord. What a precious, unexpected little gift.

xo,

B (and baby B)





21 comments:

  1. WE are ringing the bells of our hearts, praying for this little lamb all the time and eager for the BLESSING coming for us all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy for you girl! I couldn't help but cry tears of joy when I read this! I can't wait to follow you and N's journey through this:) You and baby are on my heart and in my prayers for boundless blessings! Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AH!!!!! So excited for you. And so excited to share this journey with you. When are you due, how are you feeling, all that good stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  4. addendum: just saw nathaniel's post on facebook. july 21, almost exactly a month after me. i know you have a wealth of knowledge from your beautiful and wonderful sister-in-law, but feel free to hit me up with any questions or concerns or venting - as i'm probably going through it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. congratulations baker babes! is it weird that i'm already jealous of the baby being borned to the most amazing people?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay yay yay I love this post and baby Baker!

    ReplyDelete
  7. baby B - LOVE IT.

    p.s. i'm just going to post a comment everywhere you make this announcement...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohmygoodness!! That's wonderful news! Congratulations!! Seriously, what a great story about finding out that you're pregnant. Congrats again to both of you :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. So so so excited for you and Nathaniel!!! This is the most amazing experience anyone can ask for. It will blow your mind and you will LOVE each other and this new human like you never knew possible. So happy for you two.

    ReplyDelete
  10. YAYYAYAYAYYA FINALLY it's public!! Woot woot. Such a blessing-ya'll are gonna rock this whole parenting thing :) And turk will be a great uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAYA YAYAYYAYYAYA it's public!!! Woot woot so excited for ya'll's little blessing :) You're gonna rock the parent thing and turk is going to be an awesome big brother!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was wondering when you were going to let the blog world know! I love the idea of doing photos as you go along like Joy did at Oh Joy!: http://ohjoy.blogs.com/my_weblog/2012/01/a-little-bun.html
    You should do this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. yay! love you and the widdle bebe baker-itto.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Big congratulations to you both!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! You have soooo much to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is such a fun account - so beautiful! congratulations!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations! Praying for a healthy pregnancy, delivery, and labor. Yay for Baby Baker! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations, Brett!! I am so happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WHA???? Seriously??? A-MAZING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ahhhhhhhh seriously??? That is amazing news!!! Congratulations!!! Can't wait to follow along on your new journey! And HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!! One of these years we all need to go back to the DR and celebrate anniversaries :) Blake and I miss y'all!!

    ReplyDelete