Monday, October 31, 2011

kim kardashian files for divorce: my heart breaks

....72 days after she got married.

I just saw this on MTV.com, so I'm not completely sure that it's even true.

Nonetheless, would it surprise any of us? Not me.

Reports have it that they're divorcing because of their "irreconcilable differences."

Poo on that. What are marriages made up of if not irreconcilable differences?

This isn't meant to sound like condemnation, sweet Kim. I absolutely adore that hilariously flighty show of yours.

My heart hurts, though,  that our culture has successfully taught us that marriage is a self-serving means to finding our own happiness. We're told that we're to look out for #1, right? If you're not happy, then get out, right?

Let me stop here and make some disclaimers:
if your man is hitting you, get out.
if your man is chronically cheating on you, get out.

But man it fires me up and and makes me cry to think of what marriage has become. I don't know about you, but when I took my vows before the Lord, I said

"for better or worse"

"until DEATH do us part"

Do I always feel like keeping these vows? No.
Do I sometimes wonder what I've gotten myself into? Absolutely.
Do N. and I disappoint each other? Daily.
Are there irreconcilable differences that keep me awake at night? Sometimes.

But y'all, more than these things, I value this marriage. It is sacred to me. It is a gift, a treasure, an irreplaceable oneness. Your marriages are, too. N. and I aren't special.

"What God has joined together, let no man put asunder." 

I'm praying for your marriages, sweet bloggies. And I covet your prayers for us, too.

xo,

B

11 comments:

  1. I've read and re-read this post several times. Once again your sweet words hit their mark on my heart. Thank you for so eloquently putting into words my innermost thoughts.

    Kristen
    www.decoratingdiy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have, per usual, put into words exactly what i'm feeling ... more eloquently than i ever could. i know we don't know each other, but i love your blog and love you for posting this, and love you for loving Nathaniel. may we all be reminded what we vowed and never take it too lightly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on. We are all crazy for wanting to get into a relationship that breaks us down. But it's so cool to see how God and His faithfulness uses our partners to build us back up. Correctly. I join you in prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. preach girl!

    ...Amen and Amen :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Preach it, dear sister.

    No differences were more irreconcilable than what we had standing before a Holy God. We needed Jesus to overcome those differences for us, much like we need Him in our marriages today.

    - j

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another comment - this time to let you know about a blog I just posted with a shout-out to you! http://eckersons.blogspot.com/2011/10/my-first-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, without God marriage doesn't make much sense. There is no reason for people to think about anything other than number one if they don't have that deeper reason for doing so. Great post. I wholeheartedly agree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Right there with you, lady! It's devastating to think about the sacred becoming deprave and meaningless. I am so sad for Kim and her new husband. I can't imagine how embarrasing and painful this is for them and their families.
    Praying for your marriage love and those of so many others!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your post made me think of this: http://blog.lproof.org/2011/10/lets-fight-for-our-marriages.html
    Didn't know if you'd seen it yet! Love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been pondering your post, and I wanted to add a few thoughts....because Christ is the reconciliation between us and the Father, we now have the ministry of reconciliation. I think this means that for marriages where Christ is in the middle, GRACE is in the middle, and there is no such thing as an irreconcilable difference, AS LONG AS both people offer, and accept grace.

    One question is essential in this, what or who is the God of the heart? Is it the God of grace or the cult of self? This has everything to do with what can be worked through and what is an irreconcilable difference.

    ReplyDelete