Friday, October 21, 2011

far more than rubies

N. and I got sushi last night to celebrate something awesome. I’m not allowed to tell what it is, but I can tell you this:


-We are not pregnant.
-We are not moving.
-We did not win the lottery.


Happy details to come later. For now, back to sushi:


We sat in the back of a little sushi shop called Now & Zen. It’s cozy and simple and the owners have a little dog who runs around, and his name is Jakey. He’s so tiny that you don’t even realize he’s there until he gets on his hind legs and paws at you for some sushi. I wish I had taken a picture of Jakey.


There were two young women sitting close to us, and although I wasn’t trying to eavesdrop, I could hear their conversation:


Girl #1: “I don’t know. He says he’s unsure about our relationships because he’s still in love with his ex. But he still wants me to sleep over at night.”


Girl #2: “Mmmmmmmhm.” She nodded and chewed, thinking about what to say.


Girl #1: “I don’t know. I think it’s because I’m not working on the relationship hard enough. Relationships take work, you know? I need to try harder.” She said this so earnestly. She picked at her rice.


I tried not to listen, I swear! Ask N. He could see my eyes trying to focus on my spicy salmon and I tried to keep talking in an oddly loud voice, so that I couldn’t hear what was happening, but I was like a moth to flame! My heart hurt for this girl. I wanted to jump right out of my seat and hug her and tell her how special she is. How she so obviously deserves better than this guy. I ache, still, thinking about her. It absolutely sets me on fire that this girl thinks that it was something that SHE was doing wrong or that SHE wasn’t doing enough.


Ugh, yall. I hope you know that you’re enough. Whoever you are, you deserve love. Don’t stand for something half-hearted. If he’s not into you, he’s not into you and that’s not your fault. You’re gonna find somebody who loves you-who WHOLLY loves you. And you won’t have to earn it.


Wait for that kind of man. Don’t settle.


I think that this probably sounds preach-y. But I’m not going to apologize for that. After all,


“[you] are worth far more than rubies.” –Proverbs 31




I love y’all! Remember that!


Xo,


B

2 comments:

  1. happy to hear you didn't eat sushi to celebrate being pregnant...

    :)

    also happy there's good news at the bakery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful reminder Brett:) You are so good at those! Thanks for sharing, and I can't wait for the "happy details!"

    ReplyDelete