Tuesday, September 27, 2011

how we met

Someone asked me the other day how N. and I met.

I had to think about it for a second. How sad is that?

Anyway, I love hearing folks’ “how we met” stories, so I thought I’d share ours here:

I already knew who N. was when we met. I had gone to my very first Exit 245 concert as a freshman at JMU and thought,

“Who is that super tall guy with a voice like butter?”

‘That’s Nathaniel Baker,” a friend of mine had read my mind. “He’s a senior. And he loves Jesus.”

I went back to my little dorm room and downloaded N.’s version of “Fix You” onto my iPod. And then I downloaded his CDs on to it, too. I loved the mile-long trudge to class, even in the snow, as long as I had my iPod with me. I was 18, and oh-so unsure of myself. It never actually dawned on me that I would meet N. in person. I was content to listen to him sing.

Two years later, I was a different gal. I had some experiences that forced me to grow and change. I still wasn’t completely sure of who I was yet, but I knew who I wanted to be.

So, when I made my way into the auditorium for the Exit show on April 11, 2008, I smiled when I saw that alumni Nathaniel Baker had made his way back to JMU for the Spring concert.

After the show, he came up to me and introduced himself. I remember thinking,

“holy crap you are tall and intimidating but so KIND.”

But instead I said,

“Nice to meet you. I’m Brett, like Brett Favre.” (Nobody ever gets my name right if I don’t say that.)

“I can remember that.” He had such a confident handshake, and he bent down when he talked to me, and I felt so tiny.

I saw him sitting on a sofa at the Exit house later that night, and I plopped myself down right next to him.

“Hi, Nathaniel!” my feet were dangling off the edge of the sofa.
“Hi, Brett-like-Brett-Favre!”
And then, in typical Brett fashion, I dove right in with something that had really been bothering me:
“Listen, I know that you’re a singer/ songwriter, and I’ve also gathered that you’re a Christian. I’m kind of disillusioned with Christian artists these days. Tell me how you make good art and keep it relevant to the Christian culture?”

N. just stared at me. And then after a few seconds he said,

“OK. Wow.” Then he answered me, and it was a satisfying answer, but I can’t remember exactly what he said.

I thanked him for his answer, pushed myself up off the couch, and bee bopped across the house to talk to some other friends.

When I woke up the next morning, I had the longest, most intentional, most forward Facebook message (and friend request) I’ve ever received in my life. Along with N.’s phone number as a “PS” on the bottom.
I texted him,

“Hi, Nathaniel Baker.”

And he called me saying he was on Main Street, right outside my house, and would I like to get some ice cream? (It was, like, 9am, and I was literally not even brushed my teeth).I took a few long seconds to freak out. Then I said “yes”, walked outside in my basketball shorts, sports bra, teal tshirt and scarf headband and got chocoloate-chip-cookie-dough with the man who is now my husband.

10 comments:

  1. I remember you telling me that story when we met up. What a beautiful memory for a beautiful woman! Reading about your joy makes my heart sing a little bit. Thanks for sharing this again:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, soooo--- what's your PROPOSAL story?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely adorable. Thank you for sharing! I would love to hear N's version of this story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so proud of my bro for being a deliberate pursuer! He won his fair maiden, and I am so stoked that you weren't afraid to ask him the hard questions right off the bat. You guys are so great. I never knew that you listened to his music for like two years before you met him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this story. I only knew half of it before, but now that I know the whole thing, I love it even more! And I agree with Trina--way to go Nathaniel on taking the lead to pursue you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loveee this story. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. just found your blog through blogher, adorable story :) new follower now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, ELizabeth!I so appreciate your following. :) And thank you everyone else for the sweet sweet comments! Love, Brett

    ReplyDelete