Thursday, August 25, 2011

my earthquake story-what's yours?

So, there was an earthquake here the other day. Not sure if you heard...




I've heard tons of different stories ranging from, "I didn't even know there was one" to "the foundation of my home is cracked in three places" and "the local school's roof caved in." I know the experience was different for everyone. Some folks were unscathed enough to be able to look back on the quake and laugh. Some folks weren't so fortunate--all of their cabinets were emptied on to the floor and water pipes busted.


My story is a mix of various things:


I was sitting at my desk on the top floor of WorldStrides when everything started shaking and bits of the ceiling started to fall on my desk. I stood up and looked closer at the ceiling, not even considering the idea of an earthquake. Instead, my mind went to a video I had seen recently of a stage collapsing at a fair in Indianapolis. Who knows why? The brain will jump to funky conclusions when it's put in situations like these. I spun on my heel and stared deer-in-the-headlights at my cubicle neighbor. She yelled to get in a doorway, but I already had my mind set on getting the crap out of that building. So, I did what they always tell you not to do and I joined the frenzy of folks who were sprinting to the stairwell.


The only thing I really remember about bounding down those stairs was on the second floor when my survival-of-the-fittest instincts failed me and I was either pushed (unlikely) or I tripped (sounds much more like me) down the stairs. I remember my ankle turning in my beloved Steve Madden boots, and I thought,


Get out of this building, Brett,  and then you can focus on how much that actually hurt/how much damage was done to the 'Maddies.


When I hopped out into the parking lot, it was then that I heard talk of an earthquake. I immediately felt embarrassed that I was such a drama queen about the whole thing. I thought, Virginia? An earthquake? Really? And never admitted to anyone that I thought the building was collapsing instead....


We were told to leave for the day, so that folks could come inspect our building. Our office was only about 20-25 miles from the epicenter.


So I did what felt most natural in a time of crisis: I invited over a few coworkers, popped open a bottle of vino, and we played Scrabble until dinner time:










The next day I woke up to a cankle:



What's your earthquake story?

xo, 

B





3 comments:

  1. I just read this post out loud to my mom and we died laughing. You are not the only one who tried to book it to the stairs. I was on the 5th floor of my office building and did the same. Haha. At least we know what to do in hurricanes though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My earthquake story is actually posted here! http://wordsthatchangedme.blogspot.com/

    Like yours, mine involved recklessly sprinting down flights of stairs to exit my office building. No one had any idea what was going on until we were outside, but flickering lights and falling ceiling tiles were absolutely terrifying! I'm so sorry about your ankle! Is it broken?? Ankle injuries are the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHA! This is great Butt! I didn't feel a damn thing.

    The Washington Monument is cracked and is leaning like the old tower of piza.

    My mom was coming home after her Chemo-class and could care less about a shakiness. She called me three hours after it was over, I didn't even hear about it yet, she said, "Hey baby, the earthquake shook us for about 20 seconds and it wasn't that big of a deal. Don't panic - we're fine. :)"

    St Louie freaked out more than the DC natives about the earthquake.

    Love you kid! -Eli

    ReplyDelete