Thursday, July 7, 2011

someone GETS me!

A sweet friend emailed me a few pointers on how to get started with Pinterest (yes, I finally caved) and she sent me this gal's tips on making my way through yet another social networking site. (just what I need--another vice, right?)

As usual, I got distracted and found myself browsing Megan's posts. I'm not being overdramatic or silly when I say that

I almost cried when I  read this post

about having this personality type

Y'all. I just feel like I want to wear this description around my neck and give a copy to everyone I know...or at least everyone to whom I am a wife/sister/friend. You know that feeling you get when someone just gets you?

I'm sitting in my cube with about twelve different tabs waiting on my attention, and I can't tear my eyes or emotions away from this page. It's explaining so much to me. Now I'm really crying. I mean, I feel like I'm having a revelation:

I'm not alone.It's not just me. I'm not a horrible person. I'm probably only a little bit crazy instead of all the way crazy. I'm going to be OK in this absolutely nutso mind of mine:

"Everything that they do must be in line with their values. An ENFP needs to feel that they are living their lives as their true self, walking in step with what they believe is right." -YES. I've never been able to put words to this. Perhaps this is why I'll make myself crazy doing things I don't think I want to do sometimes, because deep down I think that it's right, and I can't bring myself to make any other decision.

"Since emotional excitement is usually an important part of the ENFP's life, and because they are focused on keeping centered, the ENFP is usually an intense individual, with highly evolved values." -maybe this is why some people see me as pretensious or stuck up. I don't mean to be!

"[They]  fall into the habit of dropping a project when they become excited about a new possibility." -if my mom is reading this, then she is surely cracking up at this point. MOM---this is why I could never finish unloading the dishwasher!!

"Because ENFPs live in the world of exciting possibilities, the details of everyday life are seen as trivial drudgery."--now my husband is laughing. Does this explain why I leave my towels on the bed, baby? I'm sorry...

"ENFPs are basically happy people...with a basic joy for living." Absolutely.



What are your personality types, bloggies? Have you had similar aha moments??

B

8 comments:

  1. During my internship at my church, 10 years ago now, we read Please Understand Me, which was based off of the Myers-Briggs personality test. Turned out I was (am) an INFJ. That book completely opened my eyes, and made me realize I wasn't DEFECTIVE for being an introvert. It changed the way I viewed myself.
    Congrats on your aha moment! What a blessing to find out you're not crazy. ;)

    Oh and my husband? He's an ESFJ... those first 2 leters have caused a few headbutts over the years. But we manage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My personality type = I just had a panic attack when you said you leave your towels on the bed! Are they wet?!? Please say no...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm an ENFP, too. I find that most of the people I'm drawn to are also ENFPs...they're just so fun, random, and awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean! For the seminary, I had to have a psych evaluation that included the myers briggs. They determined that I was ENFJ (extraversion, intuition, feeling, judgment) and boy did I feel a world of peace after I read that. It's amazing how one little paragraph can explain so much! Just to know that someone understood and their were others like me was enough to make me leap for joy {and I'm a terrible leaper}! I'm so glad you got to experience that feeling through the words of someone new:) {By the way, I leave my towels on the bed too. God help the man who marries me!} 

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am...an ENFP. Yep. And this is a major part of the life coaching I've been undergoing lately- understanding what that means, complete with extensive print outs about the strengths and weaknesses of ME! So call me or come visit me at the beach and I will give you all the info I have about our mutual personality types and we will start to read them but then start talking about something else and then decide we need to go get custard and then find a gallery on the way to the custard place, and then come home raving about what a perfectly inspirational day we had in such an inspiring way that everyone else will go visit the gallery too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I AM AN ENFP!!!! i love this stuff!!!! it makes me happy to understand the cluster.....uhhhh.... (we'll just go with cluster) that is my brain/heart/emotions/mentality!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, so funny - I just did my myers briggs recently too. Everyone was standing around my kitchen talking about it and I got super interested and suddenly just HAD to know. Turns out I'm an INTJ, and while I'm not totally sure that it explained me that way you found it to, I also had the moment of "YES. These are my PROPENSITIES. ONLY my propensities. I am not crazy and now that I know what they are, I have a better idea of how to temper them." It's pretty sweet, really. I've thought about it a lot since I took the test.

    I will also say, though, that I've found myself relying more on my "personality profile" to understand myself and my interactions with others than I've been relying on the Lord and his teachings. Granted, I'm very much an extremist, so of course this would happen to me. No middle ground for THIS girl! Anyway - word to the wise: be careful of that. It snuck up on me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brett...this post is so timely! I just re-took Meyers Briggs as part of a work workshop, and my personality type changed...I am an ESTJ. I started to tear up when I found out my results because it made me realize that I have been suppressing attributes of the real ME all these years. I am excited you had a similar moment. It's so liberating to realize that it's okay to be who you are!

    ReplyDelete