Thursday, February 3, 2011

right brain, left brain

Yall. I am loving this new job, but I'm not loving how I've abandoned my blog.

For those of you who read this thing, I'm sorry...+ I love you.

As I sit in my cubicle each day, color coding my excel sheets and checking off my to-do list, I think about things I should be blogging about....sharing about. I have noticed that I don't think as deeply now as  did when I was home. Now there's a bunch of new information crowding my brain and taking over my critical thinking lobe. Instead, I've been coming up with things like:

1) I could write about how much I love that I discovered Great Scott's dill popcorn, and if I had a drug addiction, I would want that to be it.

or

2) I could write about how last night, before we went to bed, I asked N. to pray for us. (Have I ever blogged about how N. is verging on narcoleptic?) Well, he is, and as he tucked us in and finished up his prayer, he said, "and bless this food to our bodies. Amen." I wept from laughter. He was fast asleep.

or

3) I could write about how Trader Joe's makes guacamole-hummus.....you read correctly: half guac, half hummus. I could die happy.

or

4) I could write about I got a spray tan for a photo shoot that I had, and I looked like a different person. Being super pale is a huge part of who I am, I think.  Nathaniel said I looked hot, but that I smelled bad. Ah, well, you win some, you lose some.

or

5) I could write about how, each year for the Super Bowl, my main goal is to gain at least three pounds from eating every possible snack at a party. No really, that's it. I couldn't tell you who was playing in the Super Bowl if you gave me fifty pairs of free shoes.....it's all about the snacks.

And that's about as far as I get before my brain goes back into Type-A-Checklist-Color-Code-Mode.

Any suggestions, people? How do I maintain my artistic thought process AND have a 9-5?

Mad love,

B

5 comments:

  1. have a doc open at work, or use post its to just jot your bloggy ideas down...then ask God to provide time and energy for you outside of work to follow through with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you always make time for what's important to you. when you feel that tiniest urge to do something creative on your own time...do it! i have to think about it as if there is a grade involved. think about how your playwork would be critiqued and don't be afraid to get opinions (you're lucky because you have a built in audience!) but more than all of this...HAVE FUN WITH IT!

    We're here for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, this post was completely hilarious. Keep up the good work.

    (ps. it's the packers vs. the steelers. just a little head's up)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi love- here is my suggestion- spend time feeding your heart and your spirit- it is out of the overflow of the heart that the mouth speaks....so if your heart is full of LIFE, you will have an abundance of creative life just flowing out of you all over the page! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sitting at a coffee shoe on this rainy Saturday afternoon and you and nathaniel's visit pop into my mind... I (shamefully) read your blog for the first time. Love, brett. Having recently left my hippie/artist life for the sometimes constraining walls of the 9 to 5 I find company in your sentiments. How do we maintain the creativity, the spontaneity, the beauty? I'm not sure either. But I do know that on this day I find beauty in your search and in the journey. Thanks for the catharsis.

    ReplyDelete