Monday, January 3, 2011

January 2010: what I did/ what I learned

January 2010:
I got married to Nathaniel Baker and went from being Brett Elizabeth Batten to Brett Batten Baker. Triple B, if you will. We spent our first two days as Mr & Mrs here in the Queen Suite (this is where the Queen stayed when she came to visit Williamsburg-- a gift from my sweet dad). The first night, we put on these huge robes and drank champagne and talked about our wedding and all the things that the other one missed--how my uncle handed me enough cash to buy our first set of pots and pans at the reception, how N. couldn't stop crying all day, how my mom needed to find hairspray so her dress would stop sticking to her hose, how I had four women trying to bustle my dress in the bathroom so that we could have our first dance, how our faces hurt from smiling all day, how hungry we were, how delicious the chicken fingers tasted, how good God was, how N. and Wes played iPhone games to calm their nerves, how long my vows were...all the sweet things that happen on a wedding day that you don't think about until they do. Then we....you know.

The next day, we woke up famished and, forgoing the brunch at the Inn, headed straight for Dunkin' Donuts. We each had a breakfast sandwich, 2 donuts and a large, large coffee. We took pictures of our rings with his phone and posted them to Twitter. We went to see Avatar in 3D, then we went back to my  parents' house and opened all of our wedding gifts. I remember being so excited and happy and wanting to fall asleep all at the same time. One of our gifts was a Bonefish gift card--gold. Another was monopoly--also gold. We snagged some leftover wedding wine, got some Bonefish takeout (every appetizer on the menu, please) and went back to the Inn, where we again put on the robes, sat on the bed, ate our takeout with chopsticks (I can't remember why...) and played Monopoly until we fell asleep.

It was a sweet, sweet first 48 hours as Mrs. Baker.





I wanted N. to help me out of that dress, but he wanted to take pictures. So sweet. I was probably being sassy about it.





We went on our honeymoon to Punta Cana a week later (unsolicited advice for brides-to-be: this is the best idea ever). The flight attendant gave us free wine when we told her it was our honeymoon. Everything was so decadent and perfect. No horror stories here, except maybe when N. was playing volleyball and his wedding ring flew off. But for some reason, I saw it happen and knew exactly where it landed. Praise. Or maybe the first night were were there, when my throat started hurting and we noticed white spots on my tonsils. But N. prayed for me right then and there, and it was gone the next morning. Also praise! We ate and drank and laid on the beach and hung out at the swim-up bar and made best friends with the bartender. I spoke a little spanish with him and he named a drink after me, but "Brett" is a difficult name to pronounce in spanish, so it was more like "Blatt." Everyone (I mean everyone) asked how tall N. was and if he would play basketball/volleyball/water polo with them. N. is always so gracious with these situations. We had a hot tub in the floor of our room which we used once then decided it was suffocating to be in a hot tub anywhere near the equator. We woke up around 8am each morning, grabbed coffee, walked on the beach and read our Bibles. It was perfect. It was perfect. 





being drama queen about it and running through the halls. not surprising.



When we got back from our honeymoon, life was still enchanting in our little world. But all around us, tragedy was happening:
-Haiti was sifting through rubble. Families were desperate to find one another--alive or dead.
-Investigators confirmed that Morgan Harrington's body had been found outside of Charlottesville.
-Blizzards left countless Charlottesville families with no power, no heat and damaged homes. 

What I learned last January is perspective. I was experiencing life at its best, but brought back to earth by the grief surrounding me. I was blessed and happy, but God kept me in check--making me profoundly aware that life is brief--a vapor. I learned to be grateful for the love that have with Nathaniel, rather than the places I go with  him. 



B




5 comments:

  1. I am SO with you on your unsolicited advice. We waited a week before our honeymoon, too- best decision ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your photographs! Esp. the shadows. Your blog is something I keep on returning to... I've had an e-mail in the works to you for quite some time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brett, you and Nathaniel's love gives so many others hope!!! = ) I'm so happy to see how well you are doing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I don't know you, but I just wanted to let you know that I love your blog and it is really inspiring and so much fun to read. You are a great example of a Godly woman, and your blog is such a blessing to me and so many other readers, even if I don't know you personally :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Sammie! Thank you so much for the kind words. They are such a wonderful encouragement to me. I can't tell you how much it means that you don't know me, but you read anyway!

    Love, B

    ReplyDelete