Saturday, January 29, 2011

the artistic one

Kiki is the artistic one in the family. I remember when we were in elementary school, each student in each grade drew a colorful picture, and parents had the option of making their child's art into things like a mousepad or t-shirt or coffee mug.

When my parents saw my art, they passed. I probably drew something painfully simple, like a sun wearing glasses. It was my go-to drawing.

When they saw Kiki's, they bought magnets for the entire extended family. She drew a rainforest with birds and monkeys and trees and exotic looking plants. It was incredible. She was, like, 7.

She's since been known to stay up until all hours of the night, painting or drawing or creating things that would bring tears to your eyes. She has one piece of a mother nursing her child. It gives me chills. The night before my wedding, she gave me a box decorated in broken mirrors and brillant colors that says "you are..." and she had all of my bridesmaids and close girlfriends write me a note saying and explaining one word that they think of when they think of me. I still read them all the time. I keep the box that she made in my closet so I see it every day.

She's an artist, you see.

Which is why I'm thrilled that Kiki has chosen to start a Tumblr. Although I'm not well versed on how Tumblrs actually work, I do know that this one is the BOMB. It's soul food for the eyes....well, and for the soul, too.

Enjoy, people. I love you, Kiks.

http://kikibatten.tumblr.com/

2 comments:

  1. I'm n love with tumblrs. If her tumblr is anything like your blog I'm sure I'll very much enjoy it!! Hope all is well Brett. I was in C-ville last weekend and was hopin' to see you at Portico, but alas, no such luck.

    Happy weekend-ing,
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. dying....a sun wearing glasses?! hahahahaha.

    Kiki's tumblr is great! I'll definitely be adding it to my morning rounds.

    ReplyDelete