Tuesday, December 21, 2010

we all have our reasons


It’s 6:36am. We’re sitting at our gate. I’m perched like I normally would be in my breakfast nook; it’s comforting to me to have my knees up near my chest. N. is playing a game on his iPhone. Airports are the most somber of places at this time of morning. It’s like a fake quiet; everyone’s thinking lots of things, but won’t say them to one another since we’re all strangers .A lot of people look worried or preoccupied. Others look sleepy—exhausted even. I wonder what they’re thinking. I wonder why the woman across from me is wearing flip flops in December. I wonder why the girl next to her wears so much eyeliner.

We all have reasons for the things we do, I think.

Maybe flip flops woman has sore feet, and they hurt when she wears real shoes.
Maybe eyeliner girl was told she only looks pretty when she wears it.

Everyone has his or her reasons.

Like,

I try and smile really big in pictures so that my eyes look smaller. I was made fun of when I was a kid, because my eyes were so big.

Or,

I freak out when I see a frog. Freak out. When I was young, my cousin poked a frog and I saw all the guts come out. Ever since then, when I see frogs, I see innards. Nast.

We all have our reasons.
____________

As I wrap up this post, it’s 11:24am, and I’m sitting on the 7th floor of our hotel in Times Square. I need to make a clarification: N. and I are not paying for this amazing trip. It’s my mom and dad’s gift to us. I got a nasty comment from someone last night, accusing me of being unemployed but “taking several expensive vacations a year.” Well, I don’t know which other “expensive vacations” they’re talking about, but this one’s a gift. And for that, I am grateful.

I’m needing a bagel, bloggies. Hello from The Big Apple! I’ll be thinking of you!!


-B

4 comments:

  1. Brett, I've been reading your blog for a few months now and I have to tell you how much I look forward to reading your new posts each morning! I feel like I'm listening to an old friend, one that I just haven't met yet :) I hope you, N and the ladies have a wonderful time in NYC! As someone who was also unemployed for a bit after graduating from college, I know a little bit about how you are feeling. Try not to let the naysayers get you down, as you are a bright, articulate, talented, kind woman. We all deserve vacations sometimes, no matter our work situations. :)
    Have a very Merry Christmas!
    Laura

    PS. Big eyes are considered one of the universal characteristics of beauty. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this. It reminds me of when you posted about: Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

    We don't know why people do the things they do, but it would be good of us (and certainly Christmas-spirity of us) to imagine the best possible scenario and give grace.
    Even to your rude commenter (who does that??) maybe they've never had a vacation in their life and they're jealous. Maybe someone just threw a frog at them and they were freaking out right before they decided to be mean online.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you sister. We all have our reasons. Mine, are quite simple. You are a wonderful woman who is not afraid to be yourself wherever your at in life, and who is not afraid to let people in and share the joy God has blessed you with. You are true, you are thoughtful, and you are lovely.
    Not everyone is as fortunate as I am to know you outside this blogosphere, and that's a shame, because if they did, they'd count it as blessing when you do get to take a MAJOR vacation because they are blessed by knowing you and seeing you blessed. Which get's me onto exaggerations. A trip to NYC for 3 days does not count as a MAJOR vacation. It counts as 3 days in NYC with your family, which is even better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you're enjoying a wonderful time in NYC! I look forward to reading your posts every day!

    And I'm sure the person getting on your case for taking a vacation while you're unemployed had their own reasons too: jealousy, bitterness, loneliness...just to name a few!

    You're lovely, and I miss you! Merry Christmas!

    Love,

    No. 1

    ReplyDelete