Saturday, November 27, 2010

thanksgiving at the beach

today is Thanksgiving, and I am at the beach.


Each year leading up to this one, I would be at my Oma and Opa's house. Around noon, everyone flees the kitchen--we go to the movies and eat just enough popcorn to hold us over to Thanksgiving dinner. Oma always makes sauerkraut, my favorite. I douse it in gravy and mix it with mashed potatoes ("mash tayties"). It's delicious.

This year is different, but I love it as equally as the 22 leading up to this one. I am at the beach with my husband's family. We have a house with a fenced-in backyard--my nephews swing on the wooden swing set and the dogs can swim in the canal. We have three bedrooms: my mother and father-in-law in one, my sister-in-law, brother-in-law, nephews and niece occupy another, and N., Turk and I take up the third. 

Right now, my sister-in-law is making faces at the hand blender while she puts the finishing touches on her sweet potatoes. My mother-in-law is banging on a bag of nuts, her hair still wet from her shower. She is saying that she didn't bring her nut-chopper, so she didn't have to be "prissy" about it. I'm guessing she's putting the nuts in some dish. We are all talking about how it's supposed to sleet tonight. 

The men are kayaking in the canal and the children are asleep. If they weren't sleeping, my nephews would be asking N. to "throw them up high," or sneaking tortilla chips. They might be telling me about "their" baby (their younger sister) or asking me to read them a book. The oldest one calls me "Brett Brett" and the youngest boy calls me "Pet Pet." Cute. 

The youngest boy just woke up and is asking his dad for a "cozy yum yum," which is a drink concoction  of juices and water.

We've walked on the beach in our hoodies, doing our best to keep out toes out of the water. We've gone to get coffee each morning; well, N. gets coffee. The rest of us are way too tempted by the pumkin lattes or the "peppermint patties." We play Mexican Dominoes at night and stay up late talking about future plans.

I am thankful to have a mother and father-in-law whom I adore and who love me back.  My mother-in-law hugged me on the beach yesterday and told me how glad she was for me. I am blessed.

I am thankful to have a sister and brother-in-law who are like real siblings to me. I consider them my best friends.

I am thankful to have the sweetest, cutest, most joyful little niece and nephews on the planet. Right now, one is asking me to share a piece of chocolate cake with him--the evidence that he's already indulged is smeared on his upper lip. Cute.

I am thankful for my husband. Without whom I'd never know this family...my family. I am thankful that he is a rock, that he is passionate, that he is growing out his facial hair this week. I am thankful for his height--6'7 means the biggest hugs. I am thankful for how he leads us according to what Christ would have for us--how he earnestly seeks out God's best for our marriage. I am thankful that he is affectionate and playful. I am thankful for this marriage.

This Thanksgiving is different, but I am happy, blessed and beyond thankful









2 comments:

  1. I am honored to be mentioned in your blog - you are one of my favorite people and best gifts!

    ReplyDelete