Monday, November 22, 2010

i cannot control the process

This weekend I attended a writer's workshop with my dearest sister and mother-in-law. The workshop featured the author, Vinita Hampton-Wright. From her name, I expected a boisterous blonde woman with a colorful tunic and lots of brooches. (Why do our minds jump ahead that way?) I do the same thing with job interviews and book characters:

 I hear a name, I picture a character.

Instead I got a quiet, serious, pretty dark-haired woman with way too many nuggets of wisdom to write down.

Vinita was packed-full of memorable one-liners and inspirational analogies, among them:

"Every project you do has its own little life."

and

"Creativity is spiritual work."

or there's

"If you don't give yourself time to write badly, then you'll never write well."

AHHH SO GOOD.

I just love little ditties like these--little, quoteable, ditties. They stick in my mind well.

My favorite though (and definitely the most personal to me) was this:

Vinita stopped and made us write this down, twice:


"I cannot control the process
I cannot control the process,
but I must master my craft."

This is, I think, the anthem for my life right now.

As I enter another season of unemployment, some familiar feelings and fears tend to tip toe their way back into my thoughts. This time, though, I shall instead use this as my mantra.

I cannot control the process
but I can master my craft
I cannot control the process
but I can keep my chin up
I cannot control the process
but I can trust that everything happens for a reason
I cannot control the process
but I can be thankful for my husband's job
I cannot control the process
but I can drink in the days when I do not have to set an alarm
I cannot control the process
but I can use the income cut as I means of learning frugality
I cannot control the process,
but I can trust that God will...and has...and is.

5 comments:

  1. Brett, I'm sooo happy that the weekend was good for you, and that those nuggets were helpful. I have just prayed for you and your family. Currently, unemployment isn't an issue for me, but boy I remember when it was and when learning to trust was a flat-out muscular exercise! Peace to you--Vinita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep and yep. Good thoughts my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen sister. Sharing that day was beautiful. I have to say that I initially read "I can drink in the days when I don't have to set an alarm as...I can DRINK (imbibe) on the days when I don't have to go to work....womp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! Thank you for the reminder I very much needed to hear. Love yo face!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked this so much I'm re-posting it here: nolaruth.blogspot.com

    Many (many many many) times I have been so hard on myself for neither not having a job or when I do, not having the "right" job.

    Thank you for the encouragement!
    Megan

    ReplyDelete