Saturday, August 14, 2010

never say never

My dad likes to speak in superlatives. It's a lovable tendency. I remember a time when he was trying to get me excited about yet another move to a new school, he said

"I read that Carver Middle School has the best cafeteria lunches in all of Virginia!"

and I believed him.

It's one of my favorite qualities about my dad. He'll often say things like,

"This is arguably the best city you could ever live in!"
"Harbor Coffee has arguably the best cup of coffee in all of Williamsburg!"

He almost always adds "arguably" to the claim. I don't know why. But, still, I love it.

Anyway, I think that I might have gotten my extremes from him.

Have you ever heard me say one of these:

a) "I'll never join a gym."

or

b) "I hate running"

and

c) "I could never be a vegetarian."

You know what I've learned?

Never say never.


Because wouldn't life have it?:

a) We joined a gym a few months ago, and I've been a yogi ever since. I can't get enough of it. I even do a cycle class every now and then. I've swam laps, I've ellipticalled(*not a verb?), I've even...run on the treadmill. It's true.

b) Meh---this one is probably mostly true still. BUT for my job* I have found myself growing increasingly interested in athletics and wellness and fitness and the way the body works. So much so that I am writing an article on proper running gait for a local women's 4-miler here in town. Who am I?

*I'm working at a pain clinic in the 'ville which uses a method called Egoscue; Egoscue takes a full body approach to pain, instead of treating symptoms. It promotes independent wellness--each time a patient comes in, they leave with a "menu" of exercises to do on their own. It's amazing to watch our bodies respond healthfully and wholly, without surgery or drugs. (Shameless plug)

c) Last year, I could count on one hand the times I ate a piece of fruit, or took the time to prepare any type of vegetable whatsoever. My college menu went like this: poptarts, coffee, french fries with hot mustard, grilled cheese and hot dogs. I'm not a picky person, but I was "busy"....and sick a lot, needless to say. I wasn't gaining weight so I thought my choices were ok.

I have since dramatically changed my eating habits. I made a friend who introduced me to the flavor and satisfaction and experience  of eating foods that are healthful, in season and sans-hormones. I'm not a full-blown vegetarian; I still eat fish several times a week. And I still let myself grab french fries and hot mustard after a particularly long day, but overall, thangs have changed:

I usually have a Larabar for breakfast, and a very large iced coffee. Larabars are great because you can read and understand every single ingredient that you're digesting. It usually reads like this: dates, almonds, cinnamon.

I almost always eat an avocado for lunch--sprinkle salt and pepper on that sucker and I'm in heaven. Then I eat a banana or cottage cheese or both or some bread dipped in olive oil. My boss often buys huge bars of dark chocolate and keeps it in the office fridge. I snack on that a lot, too.  And nut-thins. I eat those, too. At least a box a week.

We eat a lot of sushi for dinner.We pick up a lb. of fresh salmon from a local fish market, and roll it with asparagus or cucumber.  The other night, we steamed 2 lbs of fresh mussels with white wine and butter and parsley and onion. I thought I had died and gone to be with the good Lord.



Things change, folks.

Never say never.



3 comments:

  1. mmm...avocado with salt. eaten with a spoon. that was my breakfast yesterday!

    yes, i'm awake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mussels steamed in tomato-cilantro broth

    1 1/2 cups bottled clam juice
    3 ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
    1/4 cup lime juice
    3 Tbsp. hot pepper sauce
    1 Tbsp. tomato paste
    2 lbs. mussels, scrubbed and debearded
    5 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    3/4 cup thinly sliced green onions

    Bring first 5 ingredients to boil in large pot, stirring occasionally. Add mussels and butter. Cover and cook until mussels open, about 4 minutes (discard any mussels that do not open). Stir in cilantro, and green onions. Season with salt and pepper. Divide among bowls and serve with crusty bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, so you're telling me I WILL marry George Clooney?

    ReplyDelete