Sunday, August 8, 2010

Invictus

 Invictus, the movie, is a namesake from the poem by William Ernest Henley. The poem is beautiful; I thought I'd share it here. The movie? Meh...watery. But the poem-- and especially the way Morgan Freeman narrates it-- make the movie watchable still. Enjoy, bloggies. It's a moving read. What are some of your favorite poems?





Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul. 




William Ernest Henley

3 comments:

  1. I've never seen Invictus, but this poem definitely makes me want to! All time favorite poem (okay, I have two)-- Elizabeth Barrett Browning's The Cry of the Children, and i am a little church (no great cathedral) by E.E. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't say I'm a Sylvia Plath fan, but a few years ago, two girls at JMU did a modern dance to a reading of "In Plaster" and I fell in love.

    Also, i carry your heart with me by e. e. cummings... even though it's been used in both In Her Shoes and Brothers & Sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of love for E.E.! I love him, too.

    ReplyDelete