Tuesday, June 1, 2010

see what happens when we get there

I have an eight-year-old cousin, Ethan. He is cute and messy-haired, and if I'm allowed to have favorite cousins, then he's definitely among them. He has freckles which look as though someone has dusted sand, just across his nose. He passed out the programs at our wedding, and, upon my asking him to perform said task, told his mother that he would promptly need to rent a tux, which I had not, in fact, specified.

He came to me, lobbying for the garment.  

"Brett, don't you need to have a tux to be in a wedding?" When Ethan asks questions, he puts his lips together-- a pink button mouth. I could have died from the cuteness. Really, died. 

I gave in--joined the forces, hopped on the bandwagon, picked a team.

What would you have done?--




Anyway,  Ethan and I were on the pontoon boat ride this past weekend, and I asked him something that probably defies all child-rearing books of the new century on raising an eight-year-old:

"What do you want to be when you grow up?" 

I asked because I knew he'd have a good answer.

He did.

"I think," the boat hits some rough water and whinnies like a horse, sending Ethan into the air. When he settles back down he continues, "that I'm just going to grow up, and see what happens when I get there."

This is that child-like faith that we lose somewhere among the SAT prep and then the college applications and then the job interviews and then the cars breaking down and then the tax returns and then the health insurance claims and then the dirty dishwashers and then the recycling that I forgot to put out yet again this week. 

I think that we spend a lot of time trying to figure out what our lives are supposed to look like, when we could just "see what happens when we get there."

Isn't this what Jesus has always promised us?

"He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake," Psalm 23

or

"Whether you turn to the right or left, your ears will hear a voice behind you saying, 
'This is the way, walk in it.'"

-b








5 comments:

  1. "take my life and let it be all for you and for your glory, take my life and let it be yours"- steve fee

    great post, Brett. I'm so happy that you are in a Godly relationship and that your walk with the Lord is clearly something you treasure. It is so easy to want to do it all, but there is freedom and joy in relinquishing it all to the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kinda like to keep that philosophy even now. :-) In my short time as an adult, it seeems that "what I'm going to be when I grow up" continues to change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey brett! long time since we talked but i just wanted to tell you that your cousins words are exactly what i need to hear at this point in my life. i feel like i'm supposed to have it all figured out now that i'm a college graduate but you know what, i don't feel grown up yet so maybe i can still dream about what i want to be when i am grown up!

    hope all is well. best of luck in the job search (blech) and congrats on your wonderful life :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. now I really expected after reading this post that there would be a veritable mountain of comments.....................because what Ethan said was sooooooooo profound. Thank you Lord, that you speak to us in a multitude of ways , with all sorts of "voices": voices of children, the sound of water lapping against the side of a boat. In was just enjoying some peace up on our deck and just staring up at the tall oaks that surround it, entranced by their glory and how they are such magnificent witnesses to their Creator. But we MUST have ears to hear, or we remain deaf to what each is saying. Wonderful post, and great pix of the lad!!

    ReplyDelete