Tuesday, June 8, 2010

innisfree

William Yeats loved the Isle of Innisfree--it was his place of solace, a place where he found peace. He went there when life was turbulent or when his mind was unable to be tamed.

I believe that everyone has an Innisfree. For me, it is perhaps somewhere on the water--on a boat or a jet ski. There is a feeling of immediate--almost holy--perspective that I get from being on the water. The wind blows against my face, almost painfully so, and I am reminded that the world is bigger than I am. It is perhaps the only place where I don't care what I look like--how my hair is, if I have make up on. My bikini top cuts into the back of my neck, and many times I get sunburned, but I don't care there. I just care that the jet ski is gassed and that the sun is out. I care that I can find a section of glassy water--that I can go fast enough that I feel two tears fall hot across my cheeks, into my hair.

Yeats wrote a poem about his Innisfree, and it has been a favorite of mine for a few years. It is simple, and straightforward, but don't we need that sometimes?

Everyone has an Innisfree, and if she does not, then I firmly believes she should find one--create one, cultivate one.

What is your Innisfree?



                                           The Lake Isle of Innisfree
I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made;
Nine bean rows will I have there, a hive for the honey bee,
      And live alone in the bee-loud glade.
  
And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight's all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
      And evening full of the linnet's wings.
  
I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements gray,
      I hear it in the deep heart's core.

4 comments:

  1. Sweet girl, I always love to read your writing. This entry in particular is a catalyst to my own journaling, as a reminder to always visit my Innisfree. Sometimes it is internal, but how powerful to have a physical place which can make our spirits fly? My mind seems unable to tame 99% of the time, in a constant race for the next thought, idea, or feeling...so having solace is imperative to sane survival. Life's turbulence has a way of grasping hold of my soul-especially within the walls of a hospital surrounded by peoples' struggles and human heartache. Perhaps the sterility of the hospital is why I don't only LOVE the outdoors, but NEED these visits with the natural as a reminder of peace. Bonfires in particular are such a release for my spirit. It is as if ever ache in my body and every ounce of tension or burden just simply exhales. My mind relaxes and gets lost in the flicker of the flames as my eyes are mesmerized. The smell of campfire smoke is distinct and potent, thus penetrating each piece of clothing and hair leaving its lasting impression. Even with complete silence of anything else, there is a musical crackle and snapping. Even as smoke fills the immediate surrounding air, the sky is so vast and civilization is so far, the air still bites with a clean crisp. Worries melt away as I am being consumed by the power of the heat. The virtues of the heat are dwarfed as flames gracefully grow and shrink is a completely unscripted dance.

    thanks for teaching me the word 'Innisffree'. My hope is that you always have the chance to visit yours my friend.

    I adore you. <3 B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey B, I didn't realize that you and I had a passion for jet skis...add it to the list! They make me feel like one of Charlie's Angels ;)
    Love, B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wet solace for me
    "Water water everywhere"
    It's my Innisfree

    ReplyDelete
  4. great poem. yeats is a genius. you're not far behind ;)

    ReplyDelete