Sunday, May 16, 2010

His face was like the Sun

We went to New York City this weekend. N. told me the weather would be cooler there, but I am stubborn and took shorts. We went to see the artist, Jonsi, who is the lead singer in the band Sigur Ros, the band to whom we walked down the aisle.

The concert was Saturday night, in Mahattan. We stayed in Queens, but were in Brooklyn for the day. Thus, there was lots of walking. Lots and lots of walking. I had anticipated this, but still wore heeled boots. I can't help it--beauty is pain, no? I have foot deformities, as I've blogged about before, which make even short walks painful. But as I said, I am stubborn mixed with a small dose of self-professed vanity/shallowness. So there we were. N & I, holding hands, shuffling through crowds to get to our venue.  We arrived, they checked my purse.

Whenever someone must go through my purse for security reasons, I think,

You poor thing


You see, my purse was/is littered, that night & always, with belongings like:
-receipts: Starbucks, Starbucks, Forever 21, Starbucks, Anthropologie, Starbucks.
-Sudafed (sinus issues)
-lip gloss
-cherry chaptstick
-maalox (digestion issues)
-tampons
-wedding cards that I especially loved
-a journal
-fiber packets (again, digestive ailments)
-day planner, moleskine only, please
-name placards from all the weddings we've been to lately
-a tea light candle, Clean Cotton, by Yankee....(why?)
-emergency bobby pins
-coupons, coupons, coupons-Lowe's, Chik fil A, you name it, I got 'em
-earrings for any occasion, just in case

I should mention, the contents of my purse is completely irrelevant to this post.

Anyway, we got there, flashed our tickets and scuttled our way into the area labeled "standing room only."

And standing room only it was. Have I ever mentioned on my blog before how tall my husband is?


6'7"

Which basically makes us the least popular concert attendees, ever. Anywhere.

So we stood in the back. Our legs were tired, our stomachs empty and my bunnionettes in full swing.

The concert started, and I had a moment.

You know, those moments in concerts where you can't see the band, and your stomach is growling because you spend the last of your money on tickets,

But the band plays a song, and it builds and it builds. And your body starts to give in and sway. Your knees, though you will them not to, start to bend and flex to the beat of this song. You are overtaken by the perfection of these notes. How they swell and build. How the beauty of it makes your stomach tighten. A smile forms so slowly, you feel each fiber in your face contract as your teeth show one at a time. A minute ago, you wanted to go home. But now, you have a tear, or two, or three and they are collecting in pools on the corners of your eyes. 

My first thought was

I want to live here, forever. 
And my second,

One day, I will meet Jesus, and it will be more beautiful than this.


The art we are able to obtain in this world is beautiful, brief and pale. How can I even begin to imagine Heaven? The word itself falls short. With all the good He has given us on earth, all the joy and all of the beauty,

to be with Him will be better


I cannot grasp it.

I turn to John, who says

"I heard behind me a loud voice, like a trumpet
...
I turned around to see the voice that was speaking,
and among the lampstands was someone...
dressed in a robe reaching down to His feet
and with a golden sash around His chest.
His head and hair were white like wool,
as white as snow and
His eyes were like blazing fire.
His feet were like bronze burning in a furnace,
and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters.
In His right hand, he held seven stars, out of his mouth came a sharp,
double edged sword.
His face was like the sun.
When I saw him, 
I fell at His feet as though dead.
He placed His right hand on me and said,
'Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. I am the Living One; 
I was dead and now I am alive, for ever and ever'."

Revelation 1

May the Alpha and Omega overwhelm you today, as He has surely done with me.

b







5 comments:

  1. "One day, I will meet Jesus, and it will be more beautiful than this."

    Resurrection Dance Party! YES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if Wes will still DJ in heaven??? Shall we put in a request?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brett, I love this. You have such a way with words. And it makes me think of your wedding. Because you walked down the aisle and met Nathaniel and somebody read "Hallelujah! For the wedding feast of the Lamb has come!" I cried then, and I am tearing up now thinking about it. It was so perfect to read that right then.

    That's probably one of my favorite verses right now. Just thinking about it overwhelms me. We'll be singing and dancing and feasting and Jesus will be there and it will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that you "get it." There is fellowship in seeing Beauty.

    ReplyDelete